A forum on journalism in Dayton July 29, 2019
What: Media and Democracy: What the proposed sale of Cox Media might mean to Dayton.
Why: The Dayton Daily News, Channel 7, and WHIO Radio are being sold to a private equity fund.
What might the impact be? What can you do?
The Video is here:
Join us for an exploration of how media and democracy intersect and the importance of strong local media. Panelists include:
In order of speaking (from right to left)
Yosef Getachew, Common Cause’s Media and Democracy Program Director, will provide an overview of media consolidation all over the country and its impact on communities.
• The Honorable Nan Whaley, mayor of Dayton
• Bob Daley, former political reporter (Dayton Journal Herald, Dayton Daily News, Congressional Quarterly),
• Joel Pruce, Univ of Dayton Prof of Human Rights
• Dr. Jim DeBrosse, retired assistant professor of journalism and a veteran newspaper reporter who worked 20 years for Cox newspapers in Dayton,
• Kevin Z. Smith, director of the Kiplinger Program in Public Affairs Journalism
• The Honorable Tom Roberts, former member of the Ohio General Assembly and Ohio Conference President of the NAACP
Program moderated by Catherine Turcer, Common Cause Ohio
Sponsored by Common Cause Ohio