Great Lakes Exposition: A World’s Fair to Remember Opened 80 Years Ago This summer: photos 7.28.16 (Cleveland.com)
Category: Great Lakes Exposition
Great Lakes Exposition aggregation
Great Lakes Exposition from the Encyclopedia of Cleveland
From the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The link is here
The GREAT LAKES EXPOSITION of 1936 and 1937 provided Clevelanders with relief from the dreariness of the Depression and helped them celebrate the centennial of Cleveland’s incorporation as a city. The exposition was the idea of Frank J. Ryan and Lincoln G. Dickey, the city’s first public hall commissioner.
Mall A was the site of the Sherwin-Williams Plaza at the Great Lakes Exposition of 1937. WRHS.
DUDLEY S. BLOSSOM† became chairman of a civic committee that contributed $1.5 million to transform the idea into reality. Built on land extending along the lakefront from W. 3rd St. to about E. 20th St., the 135-acre exposition also incorporated the Mall area, Public Hall, and Municipal Stadium. Work began in Apr. 1936, and in just 80 days the exposition opened to the public on 27 June 1936 for a 100-day run. Among the attractions which drew 4 million visitors to the lakefront that year were a “Streets of the World” district that featured 200 cafes and bazaars reminiscent of the countries they represented, a midway with rides and sideshows, a Court of the Presidents, a Hall of Progress, an Automotive Bldg., an art gallery, a Marine Theater, and horticultural gardens. The 1937 season opened on 29 May with a new attraction which became its most popular feature: an Aquacade that featured water ballet shows and starred Eleanor Holm and Johnny Weismuller. By the time the second season came to an end on 15 Sept., nearly $70 million had been spent by approximately 7 million exposition visitors over the 2 years. The only vestiges of the festival remaining in 1995 were the Donald Gray Gardens directly north of the stadium.
The Great Lakes Exposition, 1936-37 from Cleveland.com
Aggregated content on the Great Lakes Exposition from Robert L. Smith and Cleveland.com
Great Lakes Exposition Of 1936 from Ohio Memory
Great Lakes Exposition Of 1936
At this time in June of 1936, citizens around Ohio and the nation were gearing up for the upcoming Great Lakes Exposition (also referred to as the 1936 World’s Fair), which opened on June 27th in Cleveland, Ohio. Seen in the map above, the Exposition grounds spanned 135 acres along Cleveland’s Lake Erie shoreline from Public Hall to Municipal Stadium–an area of town that’s now home to the Great Lakes Science Center, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Cleveland Browns Stadium. The fair, which ran for 100 days, drew crowds of 4 million in its first season, in spite of the fact that the country was in the midst of the Great Depression. In its second and final season during the summer of 1937, the number of visitors reached 7 million!
What exactly were all these people coming to see? Popular attractions included the “Streets of the World,” where visitors could sample food, entertainment, and goods from 40 countries, and the Hall of Progress, which included the “television theatre.” The midway offered dozens of rides and amusements, such as “Ripley’s Believe It or Not Odditorium,” a photo gallery, a Venetian boat swing, and the “Custer Car Speedway.” The 1937 season featured Billy Rose’s Aquacade, a water, music and dance spectacular starring Olympians Johnny Weismuller (who also starred in the Tarzan movies of the 1930s and 40s) and Eleanor Holm.
The Aquacade–an Art Deco-style amphitheatre stretching out into Lake Erie that could seat 11,000– actually ended up at the more well-known 1939 World’s Fair in New York City, where it was the most popular production of the fair. The music, dance and swimming show performed in Cleveland featured four “episodes”: “A Beach in California,” “Coney Island,” “A Beach in Florida,” and “The Shores of Lake Erie.”
Thanks to the Cleveland Public Library’s photograph collection, Ohio Memory provides a fascinating look at this event from Ohio’s past. Here are just a few of the highlights!
As always, we invite you to visit Ohio Memory to learn more about the Great Lakes Exposition, and to see other gems including
- Cleveland Mayor Harold Burton with a costumed Pony Express rider
- Color and black-and-white postcard series
- The Bridge of Presidents, where U.S. presidents from Great Lakes states were “honored with enormous gilt eagles”
- A souvenir booklet chock full of information for visitors to the Expo
One last note: the event also celebrated the centennial of Cleveland’s incorporation as a city, so perhaps we can look forward to another Great Lakes Exposition in 2036!
The Great Lakes Exposition from Cleveland Memory
Internet exhibit on the Great Lakes Exposition from Cleveland Memory/CSU
The Great Lakes Exposition. Boxing Cats, Aquadudes and a 90-Pound Sturgeon
Plain Dealer article written by Debbie Snook and run on June 2, 1991
THE GREAT LAKES EXPOSITION. BOXING CATS, AQUADUDES AND A 90-POUND STURGEON.
Plain Dealer, The (Cleveland, OH) – Sunday, June 2, 1991
Author: Debbi Snook Plain Dealer Writer: THE PLAIN DEALER
Cleveland: Party town. Tourist mecca. Convention center. The Best Location in the Nation.
No kidding, that’s the way it was in 1936 and 1937, when the city played host to the Great Lakes Exposition, a festival to beat all Cleveland festivals. We’re talking World’s Fair caliber here, but with a uniquely Midwestern blend of industrial might, ethnic pride and carnival hootchy-kootchy.
For two glorious summers, more than 7 million people passed through turnstiles to the city’s 135-acre lakeside playland. Four million of them came from out of town, many magnetized by Kiwanis-styled conventions and factory-wide excursions. Those from the eight lakes states, producers of 60% of the world’s machine tools, were drawn by ambassadorial fervor.
They came by car, bus, trolley, plane, boat – even blimp. They filled hotels to bulging, spilling out into the 25,000 city-inspected rooms in private homes. They spent $70 million and created more than 11,000 jobs. And they went home, city officials hoped, absolutely burping with satisfaction over Cleveland’s biggest party.
The success of Chicago’s Century of Progress only a few years earlier had not gone unnoticed. Cleveland, like other cities, was aching from the effects of the Great Depression, perhaps doubly humiliated remembering the manufacturing muscle it once had.
So many jobs had been lost here, and the tax base so shriveled, that the city budget had been trimmed to the bone. After one year on the job, Public Safety Director Eliot Ness was still knee-deep in racketeers and police corruption. Some centennial.
Clevelanders needed to look up again. An expo plan was hatched, and the city’s business leaders came up with more than $1 million to make it happen. Municipal Stadium was already in place, built only four years earlier, and the federally funded Works Progress Administration would provide the $178,000 and 100 men necessary to create a 3-acre lakeside garden and reflecting pool.
After 80 days of additional construction, the exposition sprawled from St. Clair at Cleveland Public Hall, down a half-mile to the Stadium, then east along Lake Erie all the way to East 22nd Street.
Out of the rubble of a former dump rose a small city of 201 glowing, curving Art Deco-styled buildings. One writer called it “a city of ivory, a new Baghdad risen in the desert,” when Baghdad still was considered desirably exotic.
Visually, the expo was at once soothing and stimulating, a blossoming of curvilinear architecture, Bauhaus towers and geometric lettering. The Sherwin-Williams band shell was a bubble of white, concentric circles; the roof line of the Horticultural Building was stacked like the top three tiers of an ocean liner, and the Court of the Presidents sported a dozen erect silver eagles, each 16 feet high.
General Electric sent its Nela Park team, pioneers in fluorescence, to light the expo. They beamed moonlight blue from 70-foot pylons, bathed the band shell in a rainbow, and backlit the Marine Theater with a fan-shaped “aurora borealis” of eight peach-colored searchlights. A 50,000-watt light bulb made its debut after three other cities failed to come up with enough juice to turn it on. Daily, the expo used as much power as the city of Lakewood.
An Epcot Center of its time, the expo dazzled with technology, giving Clevelanders their first glimpse of television, a chance to hear their own tape-recorded voices, views of a 125-ton ladle for molten steel and a solar-powered light bulb. Waiting lines snaked out the door.
Manufacturers were not shy. Their exhibits ranged in size from Firestone, which sponsored an entire building, to a small booth showing off the latest in electric, pants-pressing gadgetry.
The state of Florida erected a small plantation, complete with white mansion and a transplanted grove of fruit-bearing orange trees. Inside were tropical birds, fish and bimonthly shipments of grapefruit and kumquats. Just in case a visitor had a hard time getting in the mood, atomizers regularly spritzed the interior with essence of orange blossom.
The popular entertainment of the mid-1930s was big-band jazz and exotic musicals. Shirley Temple and Fred Astaire were box-office royalty, and Americans spent 4 hours a day listening to the radio. Manufacturers introduced nylon stockings, falsies and Spam.
Expo entertainment was a microcosm of the times, highbrow and lowbrow.
Eighty members of the Cleveland Orchestra moonlighted to form the Great Lakes Orchestra. The Cleveland Museum of Art set aside its second floor for massive exhibits of European and American masterpieces. And rose growers galore amassed 10,000 blooms for a two-week display at the expo gardens.
The biggest draw was Billy Rose’s Aquacade, a 160-foot stage that floated out from the lakeshore and featured 200 singers, dancers and swimmers, dubbed Aquagals and Aquadudes. Many were local high school students hired to create an elaborately dressed chorus for daily performances by Johnny (Tarzan) Weissmuller, former Olympian Eleanor Holm and an occasional gunboat.
The Aquacade’s 5,000 seats were often filled, half with stageside diners. More than 30 out-of-town theater critics showed up to review the watery musical, and Paramount Pictures adopted a similar staging for its 1938 Jack Benny film, “Artists and Models Abroad.” Rose sued, charging plagiarism.
Cleveland’s 25% foreign-born population flourished in the “Streets of the World” exhibit, setting up cafes and gift shops in 40 replicas of ethnic homes. The Cleveland News ran a “big family” contest for each nationality, and invited winners to chow down at the cafe of their choice.
Public Hall became, temporarily, the largest radio studio in the world, with 13,000 seats for several live national broadcasts.
The rest ranged somewhere between the everyday and the fantastical, between Victorian innocence and dance hall sleaze. Expo-goers saw snake shows, a submarine, preserved human embryos, car-driving monkeys and boxing cats – complete with satin jackets, mini boxing gloves and a third-round knockdown.
There were 42-minute Shakespearean plays, a midget circus, singing cotton pickers, a working blast furnace, a 4,000-pound aerial bomb and a working farm. Also, Chinese walking fish, a Matterhorn replica, sneezing comic Hildegarde Halliday, a working oil refinery, Lincoln’s deathbed, eight 260-pound ballerinas and Sammy, the 90-pound sturgeon.
Lives were changed by the expo. Rose married Holm after his divorce from Fanny Brice. Eight-foot, four-inch Alfred Tomaine, “The Tallest Man in the World,” married Jeanie Weeks, “The Legless Girl.” Florida exhibit worker “Whistling” Willie Williams went on “Major Bowes’ Amateur Hour” and wished for a tub and a set of spats. He got laughs, four tubs and “more spats than he could ever use.”
Not all expo times were good. Glenn and Karlena Stewart of East 79th Street charged the owners of the dinner ship SS Moses Cleaveland with racial discrimination, claiming they were refused service. A group of upstate New York Indians sought help from the U.S. attorney when they were refused their final week’s pay.
Twenty-one-inch tall Inez Del Rio, 17, tripped and fell off the stage during a dance number and cracked her head on the pavement. Fire swallower Dan Nagyfy was admitted to St. Luke’s Hospital, suffering from chemical poisoning.
Last but not least, redheaded fan dancer Toto Leverne threw herself off the East 9th Street Pier, despondent over accusations that she was amoral. The event happened on the same day the French Casino’s press agent failed to persuade Cleveland police to raid the joint. News cameramen just happened to be there when Leverne, dripping wet and half-clad, was fished out of Lake Erie and shipped off for a brief stay at the hospital.
Some expo visitors arrived famous. Singer Rudy Vallee noshed on chicken livers and flirted with Belgian dancers. President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited twice, his wife, Eleanor, making a beeline for the gardens. Photographer Margaret Bourke-White returned home to capture the expo on film.
Others on the celebrity list included industrialists Harvey Firestone and Henry Ford (arriving on his own train), painter Maxfield Parrish and entertainers Eddie Cantor, Ed Wynn, Kate Smith, Wallace Beery and Irene Rich.
No wonder the expo’s final night, September 26, 1937, drew thousands to hold hands, sing “Auld Lang Syne” and shed a few tears. Although private investors didn’t get all their money back, the expo was roundly declared a success.
Some wanted it to continue, but most of the buildings were not built to last, and the city, still hard pressed to feed the poor and keep its hospital in operation, had most of them demolished.
The last structure, the Horticultural Building, burned in 1941. Only the gardens remain, renamed for landscape architect Donald Gray. Some memorabilia exists at the Western Reserve Historical Society and in the hands of a few collectors.
The Great Lakes Exposition occurred nearly 55 years ago, and the percentage of Clevelanders who remember it grows smaller. But its impact back then was potent.
“Cleveland finally gave ’em something to talk about besides municipal woe,” wrote newspaperman Roelif Loveland.
The city hasn’t partied as hard since.
Great Lakes Exposition Aquacade Photos
Great Lakes Exposition Website Devoted to World’s Fairs
The link is here
Great Lakes Exposition Souvenir Booklet
Courtesy of Ohio Historical Society
The link is here